I found this picture of me and Josh (ugh, it’s those 1970s suits again!!); when I saw that it had the Sesame Street background and that I was holding a Big Bird toy and Josh was holding a Cookie Monster toy, it inspired me to do a post about Sesame Street.
The world of Sesame Street has been around since the PBS show debuted back in 1969! I loved to watch the show as a kid and some of my favorite segments included the “Pinball Machine” (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12), Super Grover, “One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others”, and “Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?” I recently bought a DVD of the greatest hits of the show over the past 40 years so I could watch these segments all over again!
As an adult I am now able to see the pop culture references that were used in these segments, which as a kid completely went over my head, so there is a new level of enjoyment and appreciation that I experience.
Growing up, me and my siblings had many different Sesame Street toys and these were some of my favorites:
Me - Christmas in Caldwell, Idaho - 1977
Josh, me and Mom on Christmas Day - 1977
Sesame Street Neighborhood - from the back
Sesame Street Neighborhood - from the front
I loved the Sesame Street Playhouse, complete with a slide for the Little People Sesame Street characters to use. And I really loved the Sesame Street neighborhood set, because it was just like how it appeared on the show.
I am impressed with the longevity of Sesame Street and am glad that it continues to be appealing and educational!






Sesame Street rocks! In Canada they had segments where they taught French. To this day I can count to ten in French all because of Sesame Street.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the old books. "The Monster at the End of this Book" with Grover is my favorite.
We also had a Sesame Street "Saturday Night Fever" record that we would listen to over and over again.