Monday, November 15, 2010

What’s In A Name?

Day 165

This creation was made by my dad. He designed a name
for each of us kids.  

Have you ever stopped and thought about your name? What does it mean? Why were you given that name? Do you ever wish you had a different name?

My mom made these for all of the family, with the
meaning of our first name and a scriptural reference.

Anyway, I got the idea to do a post about my name [at this point I’ll post about anything in order to complete this 365 day challenge!] First and foremost, I love my name and I’ve never wanted a different name. I love my name because it is a multi-syllable name. I like the fact that my name isn’t too common or too rare; it fits in between. Yet I wasn’t always going to be named Jeremy…

During my mom’s pregnancy she and my dad had settled on a different name for me: Chuck. Now, I don’t think there is anything wrong with this name, but it certainly doesn’t suit me! Luckily, once I was born my parents immediately realized that I was no Chuck - I was a Jeremy.

6th grade art (notice the green and yellow -
my favorite colors at the time)

My middle name is Charles, so in a way the name Chuck is associated with me. But I was given this middle name for a different reason: it was the name of my mother’s grandfather, Charles Nibley Maughan. There’s a feeling of connection, of family pride, in sharing a name with a relative, a member of the bloodline.

6th grade art (I thought this was cool at the time)

As the firstborn in my family I bear the responsibility for the tradition that was established with the names of my siblings. Because my name began with a ‘J’ all of the other siblings’ names had to begin with a ‘J’; because my name had six letters, all of the other siblings’ names had to contain six letters (which is why my sister’s name is spelled Jaimee).

More 6th grade art

I haven’t ever heard any of my siblings complain about their name, so I don’t feel a burden or regret for being the innovator, the trend-setter when it came to our names. I love all of our names; I love that we are often referred to as “The J Cases” or “The J Case Family” - it’s very complimentary!
 

I love my first name, but I also love my last name. I am proud to be a member of the Case Family and I feel great honor in carrying this great name!

1 comment:

  1. That's good that you love your last name... I couldn't wait to unload it... JUST KIDDING!!! :P I love your name and I agree- you are no Chuck... but you are a Jem! :)

    ReplyDelete