Totally random post. No particular reason for blogging about babysitting, other than that I need something to continue this 365 Day Challenge.
Growing up in Orem, Utah me and my siblings were babysat on several different occasions, and we had a few different babysitters. One of my favorite babysitters was named Bethany, whom I had a crush on. She was so sweet to me and my siblings and she was also very cute [sigh]. I remember that she would always bring along a “babysitter’s box”, which carried various items and supplies; things like games and coloring books. Bethany was very creative. She crocheted a little girl doll for Jaimee and a spider for Jordan. She would leave little notes for us before leaving our house and we would find them the next morning, usually by our bed. I managed to save one of her clever little notes:
Bethany taped two SMARTIES to the ears - a nice little treat!
Another favorite babysitter was a girl named Jill. I liked her a lot because she also wore glasses and she was so much fun! One time she took me and my siblings out for a ride in her car, and she told us that she had to say nice things to her car in order for it to run (it was an older, used car). It was so funny witnessing Jill “sweet talk” her car so it would start - and this worked! Amazing!
I was able to foray into the realm of babysitting myself when I was 10 or 11. I remember one time when I babysat for the Jensen family (they lived just across the street from my house), and they had two kids - Aspen and Dylan. After I had put them to bed I watched TV out in the living room. There was a commercial for a movie that was coming soon which turned out to be a scary movie: Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye. I was absolutely freaked out by the commercial and I was unable to move from the couch for the rest of the night!
And then there was the time when I babysat my nephew Brian Anhder on New Year’s Eve 1985. I remember that after Brian had gone to sleep I was watching TV and I saw a news report about Ricky Nelson; he had recorded songs such as “Travelin’ Man” and “Hello Mary Lou.” I had watched old episodes of a show he was featured on - The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - so I knew who he was. Anyway, the news report was that Ricky Nelson had been killed in a plane crash! It freaked me out!

That is so cool that you saved those from Bethany! I remember one she gave me once that was a strawberry that thanked me for being a 'berry' good helper at dinner! :P
ReplyDeleteMy babysitters (other than my sister) were always the "other" type. You know, the "sweet spirits" (even though their spirits were not always that sweet).
ReplyDelete