Last week I posted on my blog about my dad’s birthday, and one of the things I mentioned was that my dad served in Vietnam. Since today is Veteran’s Day, I wanted to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for my dad, for all veterans out there, who have served our nation, fought for our freedom and democracy and defended our country and our allies.
In particular, though, I want to express my gratitude to my father. I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for him, to be drafted and sent off to boot camp and then to a completely foreign continent and country. And the fact that he was drafted after only being married a few months to my mom just overwhelms me with awe and humility!
My dad has shared some of his experiences with me and my family, occasionally at the most random, impromptu moments. But I recognize that this was a unique opportunity, a privilege, to be able to hear Dad recount some of the experiences he had while serving in Vietnam. It is not easy for anyone to remember, to relive and to reconnect with past experiences that are laced with pain, suffering, trauma and even death. And while he has shared some funny, less-serious and even uplifting memories, I know that they do not represent his Vietnam experience in its entirety.
I imagine that there are things that my dad has had to carry within himself all of these years, things that even he can’t bring to light, and I respect that and would never want to force him to share or discuss things he is not comfortable with, because I have a sliver of understanding when it comes to that. I certainly don’t know what it’s like to have experienced and lived through what he did, but I do know what it is like to experience and live through traumas in general.
My dad’s experience in Vietnam, his experience as a veteran are ultimately his, so I won’t try to write his biography or tell his story. I respect him too much for that. But I would just like him to know that I am so proud of him, of what he did for this country, of how he represented our nation. No matter how myself or anyone feels about the U.S. involvement in Vietnam or the topic of war in general, I still remain indebted and devoted to my father! I will be perpetually pleased and proud of my hero, my father!!
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, OUR VARIOUS ARMED SERVICES, AND OUR VETERANS!!




No comments:
Post a Comment