Today is my dad’s birthday and, like I did for my mom’s birthday, I am dedicating today’s post my dad, the man of the hour! I am so blessed to have such a great father, a man who has taught me so much, who has set a great example for me to follow, and I have this opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings about him. In the last decade or so, my dad and I have really bonded, connected and formed a strong bond built on friendship and mutual respect. I know that my dad is proud of me, that he loves me and he enjoys spending time with me…but now it is my turn to let him know how proud I am of him, how much I love him and how I love spending time with him.
Here are some facts and information about my father:
- Gerald H. Case was born in Hawthorne, Nevada on November 5th 1945, the youngest of 5 kids. He joked that the reason his middle name is ‘H’ is because his parents couldn’t afford to give him a full middle name! :)
- Gerald goes by the name Jerry, although he does have the nickname ‘Gerlad’ - I’m not exactly sure how he got this name, but he’s got a terrific sense of humor about it!
- Jerry graduated from high school in his hometown of Vernal, Utah in 1964. In 1965 he left to serve a 2 year LDS mission - the Northern States Mission - where he served in various cities in states like Illinois and Indiana.
- Jerry was drafted in the Army in 1969 and went on to serve our country during the Vietnam War, from 1970 to 1971. (More on this in a future post)
- Jerry graduated with a business degree from Utah State University in 1972. He implemented his degree by working for almost 30 years at SEARS, where he worked from a Merchandise Manager to a Store Manager. He currently works as a mortgage broker for WR Starkey.
- Jerry is very musically talented: he sings and plays the guitar. I remember that as a kid I would always enjoy when my dad would take out his guitar and play various tunes, mostly folk songs (which as a kid I didn’t necessarily think were cool) . Today I still enjoy hearing my dad play the guitar, but I appreciate it more than I did as a kid, and I really like the folk songs!
- Jerry paved the way for my current beard look, which he perfected in the early 1970s. He went through different phases over the years, from having “lamb chops” to a full beard, to a mustache and then to a goatee. Currently, he is clean-shaven, but I must confess that I miss the facial hair!
- Jerry has an amazing talent when it comes to carpentry. He has made many different pieces of furniture for our house over the years, from tables to a china hutch. One year he made a big, beautiful doll house (with a winding staircase) for my sister! He also has an amazing talent when it comes to art. He loves to draw and has often doodled very cool pictures of horses and old cars (P.S. Jerry loves old cars!)
- Jerry has the gift of gab; he can talk to anyone, anywhere and have a warm, genuine conversation with complete strangers. He has this ability of being confident, assertive, yet not overpowering or aggressive. And in turn, people love to talk to him. Sometimes I might feel a little embarrassed if he starts talking to a cashier, but then I see that he has a way of making others feel valued and appreciated, and then I appreciate him for having this talent.
- Jerry has such an unwavering, unfailing testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He will often bear his testimony, whether in church or just out in the public. He doesn’t shy away from sharing what he believes, but he does this in a manner that is not preachy or intimidating. He respects all people, all beliefs and yet is still able to remain faithful to what he knows is true.
Dad, I hope you know how much I love and respect you. You have truly been a great example for me to follow. And even though I have made mistakes I have never felt like I’ve let you down. You have been a wonderful provider to your wife and children and I will always be so grateful for that, because I know that this is one way that you express your love to us. I admire your talents, your abilities and wish I possessed even just a fraction of them!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!
You are the best father anyone could have!









No comments:
Post a Comment