Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Day 287



It’s time for “the wearin’ o’ the green” - leprechauns, shamrocks, pots of gold at the end of rainbows, etc. I enjoy this holiday because of the emphasis on the color green, my favorite color! Growing up, I remember how important it was that you wore green on St. Patrick’s Day; otherwise, you’d get pinched by someone at school! Kind of a bizarre tradition, now that I think about it!

I remember that if me or my siblings didn’t have something green to wear to school then our mom would either pin a picture of a four-leaf clover on our shirt or else she drew a little clover on our hand. Then if we got pinched we could show our green and get our revenge! Like I said before, a bizarre tradition!



There is one tradition that I uphold every St. Patrick’s Day (aside from wearing green): watching the classic Disney movie Darby O’Gill And The Little People.


I always get a kick out of this movie, which has impressive visual effects for a movie from 1959! I also love seeing Sean Connery pre-Bond, James Bond days! And I always had a crush on Janet Munro, who plays Darby O’Gill’s daughter.

One last remembrance of St. Patrick’s Day: my mom used to get very creative with meals she would prepare on this day. I remember that one year she made green mashed potatoes. That’s right, GREEN! And even though it was harmless food coloring that made the potatoes green I still couldn’t get around to eating them. But it was still a very fun idea for the holiday!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that night with the green potatoes ... it did NOT end well because none of us would eat those potatoes. Poor mom ... she tried so hard but either we didn't appreciate it or her efforts just fell a little flat. Great reminder about Darby O Gill and The Little People though! :)

    ReplyDelete