Note: Jordan, I apologize if I have the wrong French translation
of the phrase “The Last Time.” Pardonnez-moi!
Was it really exactly 10 years ago today that my brother Jordan flew from Salt Lake City, Utah to Paris, France, embarking on an LDS mission?! It doesn’t seem like it has been a decade. It’s easy to lose track of time, though.
Anyway, here are some excerpts from my journal entry on this day [Volume 26]:
Monday March 12th 2001,
12:31am - Jordan is currently on his way to Paris, France, probably flying somewhere over the Atlantic ocean. At this moment I am so exhausted, but there is so much that I would like to write, because today was such a significant day. I saw Jordan today after 2 months of separation, and it was so good to see him. Good, but also bittersweet. I almost cried when it was time for him to board his plane, and even now I am fighting the urge to cry. Even with a reassurance that Jordan was excited about leaving for Paris, I still struggle with not being able to see him for 22 months. That feels like forever! I only hope that the time just evaporates…
…We had some minor problems on the way to the airport, but in the end we arrived right at 11. Perfect timing! We had a half hour before seeing Jordan, when he and the others from his district would be arriving from the MTC. We waited in front of the ticket counters with the hope of seeing Jordan when he first arrived. During this waiting period Dad (ever the friendly, talkative person that he is) started visiting with others and soon discovered that he was visiting with the family of Jordan’s companion, Elder Jones…
…At around 11:30 I noticed a group of elders heading towards us and I wondered aloud if this could be it! Jaimee and Josh Jr. were the first ones to see Jordan, and pretty soon the whole family was swarming around Jordan. Jordan looked taller and his hair had grown out a bit. But the thing that struck me the most was that Jordan looked more like a missionary than ever before. In person he really was Elder Case. He sounded the same, full of the same warmth and charisma, but behind all of this was such a strength and maturity that it was almost like seeing a new person…
Back row: Me, Elder Case, Jaimee, Daniel, cousin Melanie, Josh Jr. and Karen
Front row: Mom and Dad
…I’m amazed at how calm Jordan remained. He tried so hard to visit with all of us, but it was just plain impossible! I didn’t care - I was inches away from my brother and best friend, speaking to him, listening to him. It was the best experience for me…
Jaimee hugs Elder Case for the last time...for the next 22 months
Me, having one last hug with my youngest brother and best friend!
…I lost all track of time until the plane began to be boarded. Suddenly it was time to say goodbye. Jordan took turns hugging each one of us. Mom burst into tears while I struggled to be stereotypically male and look cool and calm! If I had been alone, though, I’d be flooding myself with tears. The fact that Jordan was all set to leave, not lingering with us for too long, brought this all full circle. He was ready to go! And we needed to let him leave! He boarded the plane without looking back, and we followed suit, walking off with one less family member...





I cannot remember why I missed this experience, but I am so glad to relive it through your meticulous journal writings. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete