Day 279
While living in Orem, Utah I was able to get my own room! Not that I had minded sharing a room with Josh (he really was a good roommate!), but being the eldest child I felt I needed some privacy. So the toy room in our house was converted into a bedroom for me. I remember feeling so mature and independent, having my own room. The best part was that I was able to decorate it anyway that I wanted.
I wish I had a full view picture of my room, but this picture does show a little of my personality. As a Star Wars fan I had to have a poster up on the wall (posters were a big thing for me), along with a funny Snoopy poster that I really liked because in this poster Snoopy wore braces and I was wearing braces at the time (and feeling a little self-conscious about it).
At the opposite side of the room I had my own desk, and often I would pretend that I was a teacher and that was my desk. It was a really cool, comfortable room.
When my family moved to Rigby, Idaho I was able to have my own room again. This time the room had a built-in desk, which I thought was very cool. Unfortunately, I never got around to taking a picture of my room when it was all decorated. I just have this picture, taken before my family had even moved into the house.
But as with my previous room I made sure to have lots of posters (including my Star Wars poster) hanging up on the wall. In the beginning the walls were bare (no wallpaper), so I just stuck the posters up with tape. Then when it came time to put up wallpaper my parents let me pick out the color I wanted and I went with my favorite color: green.
I spent a lot of time in my room, at my built-in desk, where I would do my homework or (when I was bored) would draw and write stories while listening to the radio. I was hardly ever bothered or interrupted by family, so I was able to enjoy this private creative time.


*sigh* I have such memories of both of these rooms... Love the light fixture- boy the 80's were great, huh? And Mom and Dad really embraced the chair rail fad full force!! I remember your room in Idaho and how in awe of my big brother I was... I remember listening to the top 20 songs on the radio in your room and we'd (you'd) write them all down, very organized and with lots of color! Good memories of a more-than-good brother!!
ReplyDeleteI always loved the built-in desk in your Idaho house.
ReplyDeleteCool pics and great memories brother! I loved sharing rooms with you (even after we we "adults") but it sure was nice to have someplace to call MY OWN wasn't it?! :)
ReplyDelete