Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Knockin’ ‘Em Down

Day 278

Me in top form! Nice delivery!

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that bowling is a sport! I’m sure there are many, many people who would disagree with me, like my brother Josh, who revealed this in his own blog post about basketball. I’d be hard pressed to argue that bowling is more of a sport than basketball, so I’ll yield to Josh. But for someone as athletically challenged as myself, the fact that I am a decent bowler is my only claim to being good at a sport. In conclusion, bowling, for me, is and always will be a sport!

Me, probably just about to get another strike!!
Yes, I'm THAT good! And humble, too!

Now that I’ve finished rambling I’ll proceed with today’s post. I love bowling; I love the fact that it is simple, basic, requiring very little time or skill. I love being able to take some time and relieve some tension, just tossing a heavy ball down on the ground, letting it roll and roll until it reaches the end of the lane and sends those smug little pins in all sorts of directions!

Anyway, I took a bowling class in high school - it was the perfect class to take to fulfill my PE requirement, because I am not an athletic person at all and I wouldn’t have been able to graduate!

The class was so much fun, because we would ride in a bus to the local bowling alley and bowl for the next hour or so. That’s it, that’s the whole class! Even if you were a terrible bowler you could still get an ‘A’ just by showing up and bowling!

When I graduated and attended Aims I had a couple of PE requirements to fulfill before I would earn my AA. I ended up taking a bowling class , then another and then another! It’s funny that the college even offered 3 separate bowling classes, because they were all the same. But I wasn’t about to complain about that because it was easy and, even better, fun!! And my game actually improved the more I played, so I wasn’t wasting my time in this class! Check out some of the scores I had during these 3 classes:


I’m not the only one in my family that enjoys bowling; in fact, one year most of my family went out and purchased individual bowling balls (engraved with our own names) and shoes (so we wouldn’t have to deal with the rental shoes - yuck!!) And with our own bowling balls and shoes we were able to go out and enjoy this SPORT!


One year Jordan had the great idea of buying some identical jerseys to wear whenever we went out bowling. It was a way of feeling like we were on a league!


To this day bowling is my favorite activity and it is most fun when I can enjoy it with members of my family! And on that note I feel like I need to head to the lanes right now and face off against those darn bowling pins!! Anybody want to join me in knockin’ ‘em down?

3 comments:

  1. Man, this makes me want to go bowling!!! We need to plan another time to go and do this... it's been too long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I totally need to dust off the shoes, wipe down my ball, and help you knock over those "smug pins!" Love it!

    I think it is high time we became re-addicted to this "sport" and enjoy some time together doing this.

    While I would love to have the "little ones" there, I am thinking an "adult only" cage match (without the cage of course!)

    I know we're all busy but name the time and the place and even if it is just "the naturals" I am sure we can make it work (but hopefully our spouses can come too and enjoy basking in your awesomeness!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am horrible at bowling. Whether on the Wii or in real life. The last time we were in Colorado we went bowling.

    ReplyDelete