Tuesday, March 15, 2011

“Put On Your Sunday Clothes”

Day 285

Having a journal can be such a blessing, especially when you are trying to come up with a topic to post on your blog. Case in point (pun intended): today’s post was inspired when I found a school play program and a note inside one of my journal pages. The date for this particular entry was Thursday March 14th 1991 (exactly 20 years ago today!) And what happened on this date? I got asked to the Prom!

Here is what I wrote in my journal [Volume 6]:

11:22 pm - At the moment, I am just about ready to explode because so much is going on and will be going on. This afternoon I took a test in Grammar/Semantics which I never had the chance to study for. I took the test after school, which meant that Mom had to pick me up. Earlier today I signed up for all of the classes that I will be taking in the fall. That worked out all right. Anyway, later on in the evening Mom took me and Jaimee over to Windsor for Alice’s play. The play that Alice and Clinton [Alice’s younger brother] starred in was called Hello, Dolly! and it was quite good.

This was a very enjoyable play, with memorable songs
like "Hello, Dolly!" and "Put On Your Sunday Clothes"

After the play Alice came right up to me and hugged me. She also gave me a little note that she had written and when I brought it home and read it I was shocked to read what was written. She basically invited me to the Windsor High School Prom! I don’t know how I should react. I am just plain shocked. How could I afford it? Whatever will I do? She definitely enjoys my company (obviously).


This is what was written in the note:

Thank you for coming tonight!

Here is a saying I thought you’d like:

Dancing is good for you because:

- It is fun
- It is good exercise
- It helps you sleep better
- It’s a good way to get to know a person better
- It’s the Windsor High School Prom
- It is April 27, 1991
- It would make me happy if you’d go with me!

So, you are probably wondering if I decided to go to the prom, right? Well, I did. Really, was I going to say no to a beautiful, thoughtful note like that?! And I wasn’t exactly fighting off a lot of attention from the girls at that time, so I was in no position to be choosy or particular!

As for the prom, well, you’ll just have to wait to find out about it in a future blog post! To be continued…

2 comments:

  1. When is the 2nd part of this story coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am looking forward to your dramatic re-telling of "the rest of the story" on this one! Even though I already know the ending ... the ride will be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete