I was a peculiar child. Strange. Weird. Different. That was me. My family would probably disagree (bless them all!), but I know the truth. I had a different taste in toys compared to most boys my age. But I was never made to feel different, weird or strange by my family for my interests…Wow, this is certainly the most somber intro I’ve written for a blog post. Let’s switch gears!
On the subject of toys, when I was around 9 or 10 I began to take an interest in something that was geared specifically to boys (which probably relieved my family): G.I. Joe! Rough and tough soldiers, “a real American hero - G.I. Joe is there!” Action figures! Weapons! Good, clean fun with war and destruction! Yay!
"Yo, Joe!"
I’m almost certain that my interest in G.I. Joe began with the cartoon show. I remember I would always watch it in the afternoon, after school. I loved it! And of course there were all those cool commercials on TV for the various toys (batteries not included, action figures sold separately, etc.)
I built up quite a collection of G.I. Joe action figures, and these were so cool because they could be posed in all sorts of positions - literally they could be put into action! Eventually, though, all that twisting and positioning of the arms and legs led to a few figures losing arms and legs, but that was perfect for battle sequences! Gee, violent much Jeremy?!
I still have this comic book
This belonged to either Josh or Jordan
At this time I was collecting Archie comic books, and I also got a few G.I. Joe comic books. Definitely cool!
Josh had this cool tank!
We still have this G.I. Joe jeep! It's held up all right after all these years!
I remember that I was friends with these twin boys, Ben and Bryan, and we would often get together and play with our G.I. Joe figures out in the backyard. We’d hide out our men in the blades of the grass, or in the sandbox. And then we’d battle, sometimes G.I. Joe against G.I. Joe (good vs. good?)
Yep, it was times like these when I felt like a regular kid! Good times! And to this day I’ll often think of that pearl of wisdom from G.I. Joe: “Remember kids, knowing is half the battle!”






What a post! It has everything! Drama, youthful angst, throwback toys, family moments, some twists in the middle, and a heartwarming ending where our hero "wins" and a simple quote leaves the audience pondering more than just this Blog. Excellent! :)
ReplyDeleteI totally remember those toys, comic books, and the cartoon show! Awesome memories! Thanks for sharing!
I loved GI Joe. In fact, I still do. I still read the comic!
ReplyDelete