Day 231
While living in Orem, Utah my family got a really cool-looking truck! As a kid I was so excited when we got this truck because it had a “shell”, so you could ride in the back without a top!! It was the closest I would ever get to riding in a convertible…or so I thought (but that’s for a future post!)
Anyway, it was so much fun for me and my siblings to be able to ride in the back of the truck without the shell. Probably not the safest way for little children to travel, but the 4 of us are still alive and well!
My dad, being the very creative carpenter/designer, built these cool benches for the back of the truck to make riding in the back more comfortable for us kids. And it was more comfortable! Then my dad kicked it up a notch and built a shelf for a mattress, so that we would have a place to sleep in the back of the truck on camping trips. The mattress would then be able to slide right in and connect with the benches, so it would be like one big bed in the back of the truck! It was so awesome!
When the shell was taken off of the truck it would be stored on the roof of the large sandbox that my dad built. I’m telling you, my dad is an amazing carpenter/designer! I think he missed his calling! Anyway, it was fun having the shell on the top of the sandbox, because me and my siblings could crawl under it.
One of my favorite memories of this truck involves my brother Jordan. When he was very, very little he once rode in the truck with my mom. During the drive the truck suddenly began to shake and stir (something was wrong with the engine) and Jordan (who was probably 3 or 4 years old at the time) said “the truck has got the hiccups!” Kids really do say the darnedest things!!


I hadn't thought of this truck in such a long time. I saw the title of this post and a flood of memories came back... thanks for posting this. :)
ReplyDelete