Monday, January 24, 2011

Predictions: The 83rd Academy Award Nominees

Day 235


I’m already super-excited because I’m leaving for Florida on Wednesday(!), but I have another reason to be excited this week: tomorrow morning the 83rd Academy Award nominations will be announced. Every year I make my own predictions about the nominations, then I get up at 6:30 to watch the announcement on TV and see how well I predicted. My predictions in the past have been fairly accurate, although I have never been 100% correct with all of the nominees; there’s always one or two surprises thrown in, which is typical of the Academy.

Anyway, here are my predictions for the nominees in the categories of Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress and Animated Film:

BEST PICTURE

127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit

* These are the movies that have been nominated the most this awards season, with The Social Network being the unstoppable movie; it has won nearly every critic award, so the Academy Award seems to be a foregone conclusion.

BEST DIRECTOR

Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David O. Russell - The Fighter
Christopher Nolan - Inception
Tom Hooper - The King’s Speech
David Fincher - The Social Network

* I went with these 5 directors because all 5 are nominated for the Directors Guild Award, which has been quite accurate with matching up to the Best Director Academy Award nominees. Fincher is an absolute lock and guaranteed to win the Oscar.

BEST ACTOR

Jeff Bridges - True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
Colin Firth - The King’s Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling - Blue Valentine

* The race for Best Actor really comes down to Eisenberg, Firth and Franco, with Firth ultimately the most likely to win, based on the critical acclaim and awards he’s received this season.

BEST ACTRESS

Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

* Bening is a strong contender (and has been nominated 3 times before), but Portman (nominated once before) is the one to beat this year.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale - The Fighter
Andrew Garfield - The Social Network
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush - The King’s Speech

* I’m going with a lot of the critic’s choices and the actors that have been nominated the most often this awards season. Of these 5 actors Bale is the absolute lock in this category.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King’s Speech
Mila Kunis - Black Swan
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit

* As with the Supporting Actor category I’m going with the actresses that have been nominated the most often; there is a possibility that Hailee Steinfeld may end up being nominated in the Best Actress category (as there has been a lot of debate based on the size and presence of her role in the movie), but I think she will be nominated here because of her age (she’s 14), which is where the younger actresses have been nominated before (like Tatum O’Neal, Anna Paquin and Abigail Breslin).

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Despicable Me
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

* Only 3 animated movies will be nominated this year, so I picked two that I’ve seen and one that I’ve just heard about. But it doesn’t matter what gets nominated because Toy Story 3 is going to win, hands down! Sequels are rarely as good or better than their originals, and a “3-quel” is even more rare! But Toy Story 3 is the exception!

So, there you have it. We’ll see how accurate I was
with this tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw the nominees.... you did really well!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete