Saturday, January 22, 2011

“You are my obsession, You’re my obsession” - The Academy Awards

Day 233


Quick question: what was the Best Picture Academy Award winner for 2000? What about 1990? 1980? 1970? 1960? 1950? 1940? 1930?

If you answered Gladiator, Dances with Wolves, Ordinary People, Patton, The Apartment, All About Eve, Rebecca and All Quiet on the Western Front you’d be 100% right, not to mention a wee bit obsessed with the Academy Awards, just like me; and you have my sympathy, because there is no cure, no remedy, no support group!

The reason I am posting about this obsession now is because on Tuesday the 83rd Academy Award nominations will be announced, and I’m very excited! I’ll be posting my predictions on Monday and we’ll see how I do.

Anyway, my obsession with the Academy Awards (AKA the Oscars) began when I was a kid, watching the awards on TV, but it really took a hold of me in high school. For my English class I wrote a paper about movies and during my research I read up on the Academy Awards and discovered that some of my favorite actors and actresses had earned these awards. Then I discovered that some of my favorite movies had actually been awarded the Best Picture Oscar.

As I researched I began to memorize the winners and started to keep track of the winning movies that I had seen; then I made a personal goal to see every Best Picture winner. As of this year I have seen all but 3 of the Best Picture winners, 3 out of 82! But my obsession has gone beyond this…




I’ve collected various books about the Academy Awards and I also have an Academy Awards poster.


As mentioned in a previous post I am also obsessed with scrapbooks. And one of the first scrapbooks I made was an Oscar Trivia Scrapbook. This book is full of pages of photos (clipped from books, magazines, etc.) as well as lists of the winners from all 82 years. I also created my own trivia questions and lists of statistics. Have I freaked you out yet?!

I’m obsessed, no doubt about that! But I’d also like to add that I am very passionate, enthusiastic, intrigued and fascinated in the way that anyone would be about a hobby (like collecting stamps) or sport (like football). If someone has memorized all of the Super Bowl winners of the past 44 years then I can relate, even though I know zilch about football. If someone has extensive collection of stamps that they keep in a scrapbook then I can relate, even though I have no interest in stamps.

I can appreciate it when others feel a strong connection to a certain thing and it helps me see the variety of interests in the world, and the Academy Awards just happens to be one of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment