Back to more school “stuff”-- I can’t believe the things that I’ve saved from those days, like these two autograph books from my school days at Bonneville Elementary. The autograph books were like yearbooks, so it gave us kids a chance to practice signing our name (in cursive or print), leaving cute messages (“have a great summer!”), obnoxious remarks (“stay cool”, “you’re neat”) or in some cases our phone number.
This was my autograph book from 3rd grade:
I think this was supposed to be a bookworm…I guess. Sure. Why not? I like how I printed my name on the bottom as Jeremy C (was I hoping to become a rap star?!)
Anyway, this is what my teacher, Mrs. Cunningham, wrote in my book. I loved that she wrote in red pen (a trademark of most teachers), and that she called herself Mrs. “C” - I suspect she was referencing what Fonzi called Richie Cunningham’s mom on Happy Days. And maybe this is why I wrote Jeremy C on the front of the book, to be like my teacher. Lame!! And of course she wrote the traditional “have a great summer” message. Real original.
Here’s another page from the book. I love how this one girl wrote my name as Jermy - thanks a lot! I’d tease her about that, but since her last name was Crabb I don’t need to bother. I like that she wrote that I have a lot of friends, like I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for pointing that out!
Moving on…here’s my autograph book from the 6th grade:
I wrote my full name AND in cursive!! You may notice that there are little red stamps of a car all over the cover - well, that’s because I got a cool stamp with my Hot Wheels Crack-Up car and I went buck wild with it!
See what I mean? I totally covered the pages of my book with it. I guess I wasn’t aware of that whole “moderation in all things” concept. Anyway, these are some of the things written in my book from my classmates. One student decided to be cute and call me “Jeremia” (supposed to be Jeremiah) - I got teased about that name this year because of the Three Dog Night song “Joy To The World” - the first line of the song is “Jeremiah was a bullfrog, was a good friend of mine” so I was called Jeremiah. Nice.
Another “kind-hearted” classmate wrote that I should stay the way I am: cool and weird. Nice, back-handed compliment there!
So there you have it. I’m not sure why I saved these books, but at least it gave me something to post about!





I remember that little red car stamp! One of my old Mad magazines has one!
ReplyDelete