These are some lyrics from my favorite John Mayer song called “83”:
Whatever happened to my,
Whatever happened to my,
Whatever happened to my lunchbox,
When came the day
That it got thrown away
And don’t you think
I should have had some say
In that decision
During my elementary school days I brought my lunch to school, as I was (and still am) a very picky eater. I’d always have a bologna sandwich, chips, sometimes peaches, occasionally butterscotch pudding and either chocolate milk in a thermos or a Hi-C fruit juice box.
Me, walking to school with Josh and some friends,
Carrying my lunchbox (this was in the 2nd grade)
I loved lunchboxes, having this little container of food to carry to school (so I wouldn’t have to eat the cafeteria food--no offense!). The best part of the lunchbox was having one that represented a favorite movie or TV show - it was almost like a status symbol, a way to reveal your personality to your peers.
This was my first lunchbox, which I believe I had in the 2nd grade. I loved the cartoon Battle Of The Planets and I remember that I would often watch it after school.
In 3rd grade I had The Secret Of NIMH lunchbox, which I’m sure I got because I had seen the movie. I remember that I would either have chocolate-flavored Quik or strawberry-flavored Quik in my thermos. Delicious!
In the 4th grade I had this Return Of The Jedi lunchbox, because I was a huge fan of the movie (and an unabashed Star Wars geek!)
It was always a special treat to be able to get a new lunchbox for the new school year, although in the 5th and 6th grades I began taking “sack lunches.” I wish I still had these lunchboxes, though. “Whatever happened to my lunchbox…” indeed!!





I remember your Secret of Nihm one... and it's sad that they don't make them like this anymore. Now, they are all high-tech, insulated sacks with obnoxious bright colors... poor kids. ;)
ReplyDeleteI remember that someone in my class had the same lunchbox and they got swapped at the end of the day. I had saved half a bag of doritos and was devastated that they were gone. Then the next day we realized we had the other person's lunchbox.
ReplyDeleteThe story ends there, but it would have been cool if that had been Karen and that's what brought us together ... let's say it was and it did 'cause that's a better story! :)