Day 108
One of my favorite types of music to listen to is classical music, specifically classical piano music. I learned to love this type of music growing up, because my mom would often play the piano; she would also play tapes (this was back in the 1980s, mind you!) of piano music from the likes of Rachmaninoff, Debussy and Tchaikovsky.
Flash forward to just a few years ago I was watching TV and there was a story about a family of 5 siblings, all whom were students at Juilliard, a very prestigious school. I was thrilled to learn that they were LDS and so I decided to purchase their first 2 CDs and I loved them!
Flash forward to 2006 and on my birthday I receive this special made card from my parents:
I was absolutely floored and thrilled at the prospect of seeing/hearing The 5 Browns in concert. Mom, being a fan of classical piano music herself, was my companion for this concert and I was glad for that. There’s something about seeing a concert with someone else that makes it more enjoyable, mostly because you have someone to discuss it with afterwards, and you will often have similar opinions.
The concert was incredible. Seeing 5 young, unbelievably talented performers on one stage, each at their own piano, was a sight to behold, but when they commenced with the performance I was transfixed! I would often find myself closing my eyes and just letting the music carry me away into my imagination, to different places of simple randomness.
However, there was a point in the concert when some of the audience behaved rather rudely (which was so embarrassing for me and my mom!) It is so humiliating to have our fair city represented by such uncouth, insensitive, obnoxious people! Hello?! Don’t you people know how to behave at a concert! These people were up near the front (naturally) and made it a point to have a very vocal conversation during one of the pieces. I couldn’t tell what they were saying, but I could definitely hear a conversation going on, so I can only imagine that The 5 Browns could hear them as well.
Then a very cool thing happened, the kind of thing that you would usually only see in a movie or in your imagination: the eldest son of The 5 Browns introduced the next number to be performed and said something to the effect that he and his siblings could hear the people talking during their last performance! He said it in a jokingly reproachful manner, but he got the point across! Oh ,snap!! I hope those people squirmed in discomfort the rest of the night!!
My mom and I had such a great time that night! I bought a t-shirt to commemorate the event:
I haven’t been to many concerts in my life, mostly because I don’t like the loud, pulsating music; but I would go to this concert again in a shot -- as long as those stupid, inconsiderate, talkative morons aren’t there!!






I love piano music, I'll have to check these out.
ReplyDelete