Day 102
I was trying to think of a special “movie theme” blog post, so I did a quick review of my movie collection and found that I have a lot of movies with numbers included in the title; I’m not counting movies that have sequels (like Iron Man 2 ) or that are part of a trilogy or series (like Star Wars), so here is a list of some of my favorite “number-in-the-title” movies:
It Happened One Night (1934)
* This movie won 5 Academy Awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay) and is so funny and romantic! Claudette Colbert is an heiress running away from home to be reunited with a man her father disapproves of, and Clark Gable is the reporter who tags along, initially just to get the exclusive story, but things change during their journey together.
Two For The Road (1967)
* Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney have awesome, believable chemistry as a couple who have been married for several years. The movie follows their various road trips taken together throughout the course of their complex, sometimes strained, relationship; a journey full of ups and downs of all sorts.
A Letter To Three Wives (1949)
* This movie won Academy Awards for its direction and screenplay and is thoroughly enjoyable. The plot concerns three married friends whom are heading out to help supervise a school boating expedition. Just as they are about to leave on the boat they get a letter from a woman they all know (and despise) - the letter reveals that the woman has just run off with one of their husbands, but the letter does not reveal which husband. The three wives are essentially trapped on the boating expedition, unable to find out which husband has run off until the end of the trip; throughout the day they contemplate/worry about their marriages.
Fantastic Four (2005)
* I saw this movie with Jordan and we both really enjoyed it! Not just because Jessica Alba is so beautiful as a blonde, nor because Chris Evans always cracks us up with his comedic lines, but because it was just a good ol’ action/adventure/superhero movie! Even though I didn’t really follow the comics I was still able to enjoy this movie. “It’s clobberin’ time!”
9 To 5 (1980)
* For anyone who has ever worked in an office, worked for an over demanding, inconsiderate boss, or who has dealt with any kind of discrimination, this is a great movie to feel empowered by! Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton are an amazing trio, as they work together to put a stop to their “sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot” boss Dabney Coleman! And this movie has a great song by Dolly Parton called… “9 To 5” (did you think it was going to be called “Moon River”?)





Okay, I'm pathetic... I've only seen Fantastic Four out of these... I'll have to get on seeing the others! :)
ReplyDeleteI am saddened that you did not add "With 6 You Get Eggroll" ... just one more number and you have a hilarious movie to end on (not that 9 to 5 isn't funny in it's own right).
ReplyDeleteGreat list ... you could go even further I think (8 Mile, TWO Weeks Notice, etc.)