My Senior Year photo
I just thought of something - I should have posted this tomorrow, on Day 92, because I belonged to the Class of ‘92! See the connection? Oh never mind! I guess I didn’t plan this out. Anyway, this post is on my final year of public school (finally!) - my twelfth grade/senior year of high school! The high point of my academic career.
One of the best things about my senior year was that I didn’t have to take a single Math course; consequently, my grades were much, much better this year (I think I had a B+ average). But because of my previous years and less-than-stellar grades (thanks a lot Math!) I ended up with a 3.0 average.
I had great classes during my senior year: Poetry, Creative Writing, Psychology and…Tennis/Bowling/Golf (to satisfy my PE credit). While I was certainly no Pete Sampras with Tennis or Arnold Palmer with Golf, I did a respectable job with Bowling. I loved it so much I took it in college (again, to satisfy a PE requirement). This was such an easy class - as long as you showed up and made an effort to bowl/play tennis/golf you got an 'A'.
As for my Poetry class, the main assignment for the year was to put together a poetry book, consisting of published poems and self-written poems. I’m certainly no Emily Dickinson, but I managed to pull off some decent prose. I called my book “Reflections” and got an ‘A’ on it.
I loved Creative Writing, though, and was desperate to get an ‘A’ in the class, because I felt it would validate my passion for writing. I wrote a very dark, disturbing story based on a real childhood trauma I experienced and earned modest praise and encouragement from the teacher for my writing effort. But I quickly learned that sometimes it is best to just deal with the past rather than pen it on paper...
Even though I wasn’t involved in any extracurricular activities I made an effort to show some school spirit by attending all of the football games played at home. I guess you could call me an--wait for it--ATHLETIC SUPPORTER (great line from the movie Grease)! I also attended every school play that was put on that year. Greeley Central High had an amazing Drama department and some truly talented students!
My friend Crystal, my brother Josh, my friend Charlie, and me (nice profile, huh?)
I attended the Senior Prom (more about this will be in a future blog post, like the Junior Prom) and Homecoming. One cool thing about the Prom: me and my friends got our picture in the yearbook - score!!
My brother Josh was a sophomore this year and we shared a locker together. It was cool because the sophomores had to use the lockers on the first floor, but Josh got “promoted” to the senior floor! He was a good locker mate! Speaking of lockers, Josh and I had a group of friends that would hang around our locker. Eventually, we started playing various card games before school started at our locker, and we even referred to ourselves as “The Card Club.” It was tons of fun!
At the end of the year the seniors were able to purchase a Senior Memories book (since we wouldn’t get our yearbook until the fall -- stupid, huh?!) Inside mine I kept pictures of my friends, got my friends to sign the pages, and I wrote basic stuff (likes and dislikes) throughout the book. As for the yearbook, well, all of the seniors were able to submit a quote and I had submitted two for the editors to choose from: one serious and inspiring, one sarcastic and snarky. Here's what ended up in the yearbook:
I’ll be posting about my graduation day later on, since I will probably need to have some spare blog post ideas for the future! But to wrap this up I’ll just say that senior year was a blast, a great way to finalize my public school years! [And I am so glad that I don’t have to relive the high school experience!!]





Loved this post... ahhhh memories. I, too, took Tennis, Bowling and Golf... with Josh in fact. And I took Bowling again in college. You paved the way for me! :P Love you!
ReplyDeleteAwesome quote!
ReplyDeleteI didn't take math my senior year either! No wonder my senior year was the best...
When I first saw the Blog Title my reaction was "Senior moments?! You're like still in your 30's!" But now I understand.
ReplyDeleteGreat post brother. I had forgotten about my "Sophomore Prom" and the locker sharing we did. What cool memories.