Day 98
It’s time to totally embarrass myself by doing a post about my various looks over the last 15 years. Currently, I have little hair left to experiment with in different styles and I think I will always have a beard (to distract the eye from the lack of hair I have on top!) But there was a time when I was clean-shaven and had a decent head of hair and I was able to try different things; some looks were better than others. No point in delaying the inevitable, so here we go:
15 years ago (!) I decided to try and grow my hair longer, and the result was this:
Yes, yours truly ended up with a mullet (oh, the horror!) - that awful "business up front, party in the back" look! And I must confess that I did like it - it was especially thick in the back. Oh, to have hair again…
A year later I was no longer cursed with a mullet and decided to part my hair down the middle, which I used to do in grade school.
Another year passes by and I’ve decided to grow a beard (dun, dun, DUN!!!) and to my surprise it comes in quickly and thick; so thick, in fact, that I quickly begin to resemble a reject from an “Abraham Lincoln Look Alike Contest” - seriously, had I never heard of trimming a beard?
Apparently, I did learn to trim because later on I had a much more polished, professional beard. But that wasn’t enough, because I apparently decided that blondes DON’T have more fun, so I decided to see how the other half lives and I got a (dun, dun, DUN!!!) DYE JOB!!
I liked this look for me, even though I think I was the only one who did. So, I decided to go back to my naturally blonde hair, although to do penance for dyeing away my blonde in the first place I decided to go REALLY BLONDE:
Now that’s what I call ‘platinum blonde’…and to add to my new hair color, I decided to try the goatee look. It made shaving/trimming A LOT easier!
But I soon found that a beard does a better job of ‘framing’ my face - in essence, making my face look less chubby - so I grew out the beard again. And at this time I started to notice my hair was ever so subtly vacating the premises. I decided that it was time to do the ‘buzz cut’ look, in hopes that it would somehow camouflage my lack of hair.
And that’s the look that stuck with me to this day. The buzz cut may vary in length, but I have not had to use a comb or brush in almost 10 years…and I love it! Soon, though, I will be an official member of the “chrome dome society” - although I’m certain I will keep the beard. I gotta keep what hair I’ve got left, right?!








Those with hair think they are so darn superior!
ReplyDeleteI think I will grow a beard for the winter.
Chrome Dome! Chrome Dome! Come on brother ... it is time to make the commitment! I don't always keep it completely shaved but if you like not using combs, just wait until you only shampoo your beard and not your "golden locks" ... heavenly!
ReplyDeleteAnd I like to keep at least some facial hair when I'm "bald" because otherwise it just looks too skin-head like. I would wear a beard but yours makes mine look so sad ... no sideburns ever grow in.
Thanks for the Blog idea on different looks. I will have to do that one soon!
I have to say that your current hairstyle is my favorite on you. But you always look handsome! Love you, Jem!! If I stole this post, it would be fifteen years of the same haircut... BORING!!
ReplyDeleteWell that was a fun post. I definitely think you are the most handsome now. Hair or no hair, you have wisdom in your eyes and a beautiful smile!
ReplyDelete