Sunday, September 5, 2010

September Bulletin Board

Day 94


One of the things that I loved to do when I was in elementary school was to make bulletin boards. I was inspired by my teachers and how they would decorate their classroom with various bulletin boards. There would always be a bulletin board devoted to the particular month of the year that we were in, with an appropriate theme. I wanted to do something similar at home, so I started making my own month-themed bulletin board. I was able to use one side of the fridge to tape up my artwork, and each month I’d put up a new theme. This is the one that I made for the month of September:

I had to "scrunch" this together to fit on one page, so I could put it in my scrapbook. Normally it would have been
spread out on the fridge or on the cork board. Also, I had drawn more leaves, but I must have lost them over the years.

My parents, my whole family in fact, supported my creativity and always encouraged me. I loved the attention and the praise and I loved being able to incorporate something from school, especially since I found myself wanting to become a teacher and this was a way for me to practice.

When my family and I moved to Rigby, Idaho I no longer was able to use the fridge for my bulletin boards (the fridge was placed into a specific spot in the kitchen that was enclosed), but my parents provided me with a cork board that I could use to display my bulletin boards. Again, I felt very encouraged and supported by my family and I’m so grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. I could have used you when I taught school. I was glad that there wasn't so much pressure to have cute bulletin board in middle school like there is in elementary. I think mine were the same for the whole 4 years I taught. There was just always something more important to do. But, I think I would have liked being creative if I have the time.

    ReplyDelete