Monday, September 20, 2010

Movie Monday: All About…Numbers (Part 2)

Day 109


There are many “number-in-the-title” movies, too many to count (no pun intended), so here are just a few more of my favorite movies that fall into this category:

The Ten Commandments (1956)
* I love biblical movies, and this one is so grand, so sweeping, so majestic. Charlton Heston is a powerful, commanding Moses and the parting of the Red Sea is a pretty impressive sequence for 1950s movie technology! I also love Anne Baxter (as Nefritiri) who really camps things up, especially when saying “Oh, Moses, Moses!” And I have to say that Yul Brynner is my hero, as he can pull of the bald look like nobody’s business!

12 Angry Men (1957)
* I have to give credit to Jordan for introducing me to this classic! He saw this before me, which is hard to believe when I proclaim to be a movie buff! Anyway, this is a brilliant depiction of a jury struggling to come to a mutual decision in a murder case. Henry Fonda, as Juror #8, is the one man on the jury who refuses to give in to pressure and prejudice from the other jurors by staying true to his belief that the man on trial is innocent. The entire cast is superb, consisting of some incredible actors, including Lee J. Cobb, Ed Begley, and Jack Warden.

Stalag 17 (1953)
* Another great movie from the Fabulous Fifties! William Holden won the Best Actor Oscar for his excellent portrayal of the cynical, indifferent Sergeant J.J. Sefton, one of several POWs in a German prison camp during WWII. This film is actually quite funny, considering the depressing circumstances, but there is also a great blend of mystery and suspense. The main plot line concerns the revelation that there is a spy/traitor amongst the POWs and Sefton is the prime suspect. He is not the traitor, but he must find out the true culprit before his fellow prisoners completely turn on him.

27 Dresses (2008)
* Finally, a movie from the 21st Century!! Well, I am not ashamed to admit that I absolutely love this “chick flick” about a perpetual bridesmaid. Katherine Heigl is gorgeous and funny and lovable as Jane, although it is hard to believe that her character is single. She is madly in love with her boss, played by Edward Burns, but then she meets a snarky, obnoxious and utterly handsome wedding columnist played by James Marsden. To complicate matters, Jane’s sister meets and falls for Edward Burns' character, and soon Jane is asked to be her sister’s bridesmaid! Ouch! Anyway, the movie does live up to the title (there ARE 27 bridesmaid dresses featured!) and it is funny and romantic.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to say I've only seen one of these in its entirety... and it was at your urging... last week! I did love 27 Dresses!

    ReplyDelete