Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kindergarten Kitsch

Day 104


kitsch \kich\ n [G] : shoddy or cheap artistic or literary material - kitschy adj


Now that I’ve gone through all of my school days, I want to go back and pick out some of the things I missed from my school days, starting with good ol’ kindergarten.

In kindergarten I was able to flex my creative muscles and did a lot of drawing. One time Mrs. Adams had all of us create drawings on a paper plate; then the paper plate would be made into a real plate (don’t know how that was done!) So here is my work of "art", a plate that only a mother would be willing to eat off of:


I believe I was trying to draw a scene from a fairy tale, like Snow White…or Cinderella…or Jack and the Beanstalk (?!) I love that I printed my name in such bold lettering, particularly the letter “Y”: I think I was being indoctrinated at the age of 5 to attend the “Y” (AKA  BYU) which makes sense, as I was living in Orem, Utah at the time!

This plate still exists…even after all of the moves, after so many other plates and dishes have been broken, for some reason this one remains intact.


This was an “interesting” piece of sh…shiny art? Mrs. Adams must have had a thing for paper plates (or a very limited budget) because for this creation we got a paper plate full of plaster, then we’d put our hand in it to make a mold, then once the plaster was dried hard the whole thing was spray painted gold. “GOLDFINGER…S I suppose!
 
Over the years the gold paint has slowly turned a weird kind of white-ish green. And I still have this thing, in my room, hanging up in my closet (where all of my “art” belongs!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I still have my "Tree" plate that I colored ... not a bit of white space on it! Amazing that it has held up all these years!

    And I know I had a handprint at one point but sadly (who are we kidding?! GLADLY) it is long lost to the kitsch collectors bin known as the dump.

    Fun times though. :)

    ReplyDelete