As an aspiring (but lazy and often distracted) writer, I have had many opportunities in my life to take a crack at writing a story: I took a Creative Writing class in high school and in college; I’ve started several different stories/novels in my spare time; and there was a time when I wrote my memoirs at the tender, appropriate age of…eight.
OK, so maybe writing my life story at an age when I still didn’t know how to tie my shoes (it’s a fact!) was probably not entirely sensible. But in my defense I was just completing a school assignment. It was in the 3rd grade at Bonneville Elementary and all of the students were given this task of writing and illustrating the story of our life!
First, let me just say that I have no idea why I picked this for my book cover! This is actually just a wall paper sample and everyone was able to pick one to use for their cover. Which means that someone may have actually chosen to put this up on their walls, on purpose!! Ugh!! I am mortified by this, but then I just tell people that this was all that I could choose from--you believe me, right?
Back to my memoir, I wrote the story of my life in cursive (good practice for the future, when I’d keep a daily journal and write in cursive) and between the pages would be illustrations, like these:
I didn’t know that ‘one’ is a plural word! No wonder I suck at math!
I drew an airplane flying right into the sun!!! No wonder I have a fear of flying (just kidding!) And then I drew a picture of my experience with a broken foot (not leg). Sheesh! I’m already lying in my memoir!
[As for this incident there will be a future blog post about this.]
Apparently I had ‘water’ on the brain when I drew these two illustrations! Notice how the people watching me be baptized look like they are laughing at me. I think I was trying to make them look happy.
I drew the big castle at Disneyland - it looks like there are people getting ready to jump off the castle!! Nice image, Jeremy! And me with the “chicken pox’s” - boy, do I look mad!
The last picture I drew was of me in my “dream job” of being a teacher…I think I was just
trying to suck up to my teacher. Subtle, huh?
Now, if you are still reading this post (bless you!) and you’re wondering why I haven’t posted any of the written pages, I have to confess that I’m a little ashamed at some of the things I wrote; also, near the end of the book you would see that my cursive had improved immensely, due to the fact that my mom wrote the rest of the book for me! Like I said in the beginning, I am a lazy, often distracted aspiring writer!






You seriously crack me up!! I loved this whole post.. you had me giggling!! I love you, Jem! And I especially love how you are outside the plane in the picture of you 'on the plane' :P
ReplyDeleteNow I totally want to see the missing pages!!!
ReplyDeleteI "echo" Matt's comment ...
ReplyDeleteAnd the pictures are just great! Maybe you should be an artist instead of a writer. :)